Please find below details of a call for papers for a postgraduate panel at ‘Folklore and Thomas Hardy’, being held in Dorchester 11-13 April 2014.
Folklore, Thomas Hardy and Rural Writing: A Joint Conference of The Folklore Society and The Thomas Hardy Society 11-13 April 2014 at The Corn Exchange, Dorchester.
Individual submissions are invited for a panel of three postgraduate papers on the works of Thomas Hardy. The following themes are encouraged but are by no means exclusive:
• Legends and folklore in Hardy’s works
• Hardy and Wessex landscapes
• Hardy and tradition
• Hardy and place
• Hardy and the supernatural
Please send abstracts of 200-300 words to email@example.com by 21 February 2014. Successful applicants will be informed by 28 February.
I also list below the main Call for Papers, open to all, with a deadline of 15 January 2013.
Submissions are invited for 20-minute presentations on such themes as:
- Folklore in the works of Thomas Hardy
- Wessex/Dorset folklore and landscapes
- Folk customs and rural traditions in the late 19th-early 20th centuries
- Place, and the meaning of Hardy Country
- Rural writing – genre, time and space